Transport your taste buds straight to the heart of Mexico with these mouth-watering chicken enchiladas. Filled with tender, spiced chicken and topped with a luscious sauce and melted cheese, these enchiladas are the perfect combination of comfort and zest.
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (you can use rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- Salt, to taste
- 8-10 soft corn or flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken, 1 cup of cheese, chopped onion, minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Make the Enchilada Sauce:
- In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add flour and stir for about a minute or until it’s just beginning to brown.
- Mix in chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth, ensuring no lumps form. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Once thickened, stir in the tomato sauce. Let it simmer for 5-8 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Assemble the Enchiladas:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Spread a couple of tablespoons of enchilada sauce at the bottom of a baking dish.
- Take a tortilla and spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken filling in the center. Roll it up tightly and place it seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over the filled tortillas, ensuring they are fully covered.
- Sprinkle the 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese on top.
- Bake and Serve:
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.
- Serve warm, perhaps with a side of sour cream, guacamole, or a fresh salad.
Enjoy your homemade savory chicken enchiladas!
Want to riff on this recipe yourself? Use the following prompt, or check it out on PromptFolder:
Please give me a recipe for chicken enchiladas. The recipe should include a short and enticing title, a brief overview of the recipe, an ingredients list, and clear instructions on how to make this dish.